Thursday, October 20, 2011

Father and Son: The Bond

Hehe...too lazy to come up with a weirder title, so we'll go with da default. It's late (relatively; early by my other post standards), and I'm tired, and I brilliantly left 98% of my notes in my locker, so yeah. It'll be short--as much as possible.

In The Road, the main characters are a man and his son, and it is apparent that the father just wants to protect his son and keep him as happy as possible in their situation. I noticed that the dad is always agreeing with his son, as if he was just making sure his son was satisfied. He says things that don't really contradict the boy, and the conversations generally have a soft tone to them. "Yes," "sure," "okay," "I know," etc. (Sorry, no good examples at the moment). In the flashbacks with the man and his wife, at the statement "Her cries mean nothing to him" (or something close to that) implied to me that he kind of loved his son more than his wife, or rather, the boy was more important to him at that moment in time. The father overall wants to keep his son safe, which is why he's constantly moving and pushing him and trying to explain their situation.

A certain conversation that really stood out to me was:
"Do you want to die? Is that what you want?"--"I don't care; I don't care."--"I'm sorry. Don't say that. You mustn't say that."
That was after the whole "I saw a little boy" scenario, and it proved that the father is really protective, and that in the end he just wants his boy safe.

Another thing about the bond between the father and son was the mutual love between them. They's argue: about the boy getting more or better things than his father (and the boy not liking that), about what to do, and so on. But when it comes down to it, in times of danger or extreme caution, all negative thoughts, feelings and/or emotions (leaving the boy to scout, shooting the man) are forgotten, and they rely on each other and enjoy each other's company, and they truly love each other. For example, after the argument regarding the other boy and the dog, and the narrow evasion of the "bad guys," the father told the boy to stay put while he got more firewood. Yet the boy followed him and helped him gather wood too. That was an "awww..." moment for me.

Sooo... Yeah. I felt a mutual love between the two, and they were/are always looking out for each other. That's probably what the relationship between parent and child is, anyway. That whole "unconditional love" thing; the need to protect your child, even if it seems harsh or mean, and still loving them no matter what.

Yeah. That's all I got. But, I apparently rewrote this little speech by the father to his son in found poem format (not really "rewrote" per se; just reformatted it):

"The Bond"

My job is to
take care of you.
I was appointed to do that
by God.
I will kill
anyone
who touches you.
Do you understand?

"If we were going to die would you tell me?"

1 comment:

  1. You mention at one point that you think the father loves the son more than the mother...that may be true, but I feel like you're just shown more instances of love between the father and the son than "husband and wife". I feel like to be put in that situation with ANY close family member, you're relationship would be built on as much love as shown in The Road. -Charlotte Pellegrini

    ReplyDelete